- Contains good proportions of all essential amino acids (eight proteins that the body cannot manufacture).
- Is high in complex carbohydrates,
- Has plenty of protein (11%) and
- B vitamins – almost the entire range of b complex vitamins
- Is rich in minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, zinc, selenium, iron and calcium.
- Is cholesterol free and is almost fat free.
- Contains a substance that lowers and stabilizes blood glucose.
- is not part of the wheat family, therefore is a suitable & nutritious grain for people who are sensitive to wheat or other gluten grains.
- Has a distinctive nutty flavour
- can be cooked and served in a similar way to rice. It can also be a great addition to soups, used to make tabouli or even a gluten-free porridge.
- add one part buckwheat to two parts boiling water or broth.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.