Nutty in flavour with a creamy texture
Are a good source of:
- Complex carbohydrates– provide a slow steady release of glucose- good for diabetics – Low GI (14)
- Protein– necessary for repairing and building body tissues, and for producing enzymes and hormones
- Soluble Fibre– helps to lower your LDL cholesterol- reducing the risk of heart disease
- Helps to regulate blood sugar levels
- Helps in the prevention of colorectal tumours
- Potassium – help in lowering Blood Pressure. Helps in maintaining good fluid balance in our body. It will also help in proper muscle and kidney functioning.
- Iron– needed to produce haemaglobin which transports oxygen throughout the body
- Zinc– essential for reproduction, growth and for supporting immune function.
- Phosphorus– will help in building bones and teeth and with a pH level of body fluids.
- Isoflavones– protect against heart disease and cancer
- Saponins– flavonoid- may bind to cholesterol- lowering properties.
- Phytosterols– anti cancer and cholesterol- lowering properties
- B vitamins– –B1 thiamine- helps with energy metabolism
–B2 riboflavin- helps with the metabolism of carbohydrates, protein and fat
– aids adrenal function
– B3 niacin- help repair DNA
– involved in the production of steroid hormones in the adrenal gland
– B5 pantothenic acid- aids in normalizing blood sugar level, cholesterol, hemoglobin and can synthesize antibodies
– B6 pyridoxine- promotes the metabolism of protein and carbohydrates and release of energy, proper nerve function and the synthesis of red blood cells.
– B12 cobalamins- help in making red blood cells, DNA, myelin and RNA.
Biotin– needed for energy metabolism
Folate– needed to make DNA, RNA and red blood cells and to synthesise certain amino acids
- Helps prevent congenital neurological defects in pregnant women